"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world" - Neloson Mandela
Early Childhood Education through Balwadis (pre-schools), is one of our core focus areas which lays early foundation into education for young children. We provide access to quality pre-primary education to less privileged children residing in low socio-economic areas.
While the period of 0-5 years is critical for learning, it is the most neglected age group in the education system. At Save the Children India, we not only believe in cognitive development in a child’s life, but also social, emotional and physical development.
We recognize that young children are motivated by a natural curiosity and a thirst for knowledge. The joyful atmosphere at our centers encourages that natural curiosity to develop into a lifelong love for learning. Our teacher use theme-based, well-rounded curriculum, which introduces the child to his community, nature and people as well as enables him to learn meaningful values like friendship, sharing, bonding, respect and freedom.
Our approach is to demonstrate low-cost and replicable teaching models through:
- Standardized age-specific curriculum
- Teachers training and capacity building
- Collaboration with the existing systems and infrastructures
- Continuous Monitoring & Improvement - MIS
- Over 6000 students benefited through 232 centers
- School Readiness Instrument is a tool which we employ to estimate the number of our beneficiaries who are ready to be mainstreamed into formal schools
- Policy Advocacy on inclusion of Early Childhood Education within Right to Education Act 2009 through membership of Early Childhood Association
- State-level policy consultation in collaboration with UNICEF on State Early Childhood Care and Education
Christmas Celebration at Our Center
Community Engagemen on Child Rights
Exposure visits to Aid Learning
Fancy Dress Competition
Patang - Study Centers
Save The Children India designed a unique program Patang and set up Study Centers which utilize an indigenously developed Accelerated Learning Module (ALM) to bridge the students’ learning gap. ALM module is based on Multi-Grade Multi-Level pedagogy for children between 6 to 14 years from lower socio-economic communities, Municipal Corporation Schools and Low Cost Private Schools.
- Patang program is running in 74 centers in Mumbai, 36 centers in Thane and 50 Study Centers in Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation schools
- Supportive education for language and math provided to 5000 students in 160 Study Centers. Marathi, Hindi and Urdu are three mediums of instruction, depending on the need and mother tongue of students
- Academic level of students is identified based on a diagnostic test at the beginning of the academic year and accordingly, individualized activity-based learning experience is provided to each child
- Continuous comprehensive evaluation is conducted for each child and is measured through completion of various milestones within a level
- Continuous efforts are made to increase student attendance by parent-teacher meetings, home visits and volunteer parent-teacher associations
Craft by Students during Summer Camp
Drawing Competition at a Study Center
Metric Mela - Students Exhibit their Learning through Fun Activities